PDP Blog

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Studio Shoot

The back Story – Tuesday 16th January 2007, We have been set the task or recording an assessed studio production. Our group have decided on a drama about a man speaking with St. Peter at the gates of heaven (Monty Python meets Hollyoaks)

I’m sat at the lighting desk in the TV studio; the set was built last night and I partially lit it. (couldn’t fully light it as the set was being changed all the time), all the cameras have been balanced and the lights have been fine tuned.
.

The studio shoot seemed to go well yesterday considering all the odds.
Last minutes actors, set designer pulling out the night before the shoot!
All we would have needed was a mass technical failure and it would have looked like a sign from good “You must not make this production”.

I was in the studio the day before the shoot to help build the set. After the flats were all up they appeared to have transformed the studio into what looked like a cheap set for a pyramid scheme movie. However as the girls began to throw down the artificial clouds the set was transformed into a heavenly replica.


4 PM - My initial plan was to light the set the night before the shoot so that I wouldn’t be rushed the next day. I began tracing up my Key lights and roughly positioning the others, but due to the ever changing set design I was forced to leave the lighting until the set was totally build and a layout was finalised. So I went home around 7pm.

The day of the shoot – I arrived on set sharply at 9:00am waiting to be let in before the others arrived so that I could again get stuck into my lighting design. No one turned up for at least another thirty minutes.
So I finally got to work, the set looked great (considering) and everyone seemed keen to start shooting. I didn’t really need to adjust many more of my lights as I had lined up most of what I needed the night before. I traced up the remainder of my lights and lit the back drop. Everything seemed to be going well, ever so often I was asked if I could make it “more white” (I couldn’t because I had used all my lights, but I had to explain how I was going to open up the iris’s on the camera to compensate for this)

We began shooting and managed to run through the whole thing at least two or three times before lunch. Everyone seemed quite positive to our progress. Chris was doing a good job directing ( its not easy controlling 15 or so people and knowing that you will be assessed on it)

When we came back after our lunch everyone was keen to start again.
Chris quietly took me to one side and asked that if it were possible could all the lights go red when the guy presses the red “Hell button”.

We carried on shooting until the tape ran out, and then spun it back over the first few takes (they weren’t really that good).

We finally finished shooting around 4pm (I think) and then wrapped the studio in record time.


Fun day, great job everyone.


Looking forward to seeing it this Thursday ☺

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home